Creating an environment where people do their best work is a key strength and motivator for you. You care deeply about building great software that powers the heart of VSCO’s global creative audience. You are a thoughtful leader that draws energy from mentoring and growing others. You prioritize people always and understand the work of the whole is better than that of one individual.
VSCO is seeking an Engineering Manager to lead the team responsible for VSCO’s backend services. You will be responsible for providing technical guidance and leadership for a core area of our global product, and for leading and guiding a team of world-class engineers to do their best work every day. This team is responsible for building and maintaining scalable, low-latency, and reliable backend services that enable creative expression across VSCO creation tools and the overall VSCO community. You will partner with product and technical product management, design, marketing, and leadership teams to create compelling new experiences across all of VSCO. In partnership with your team, you will manage 100+ Go services and workers running on Kubernetes and communicating over gRPC, supporting tens of millions of users.
- Build and manage the team responsible for all of VSCO’s backend services — from the social platform to our experimentation framework to our subscriptions product
- Coordinate longer-term roadmap with our cross-functional team of product, design, marketing, and leadership
- Be a key part of making long-term strategic technical decisions that impact key metrics at a company level
- Provide design and architectural feedback, and use your technical insights to guide discussions
- Keep your immediate team and the team you’re part of high-morale and healthy, and provide rigorous career-growth management
- Create and fulfill the engineering hiring plan for your team alongside leadership and People Ops (including sourcing, screening and interviewing candidates)
- 2+ years of experience in an engineering leadership role, with hands-on technical management expertise
- 4+ years experience with developing backend systems
- Working knowledge of building highly-scalable distributed systems and microservice architectures
- Working knowledge partnering and executing alongside cross-functional feature teams
- Experience in roadmapping and delivering on feature work alongside core infrastructure work
- Expertise in solving business-wide challenges, beyond engineering
Nice to Have
- Experience with Kubernetes or other containerized systems, Bazel, gRPC (or alternatives)
- Familiarity with agile or Lean methodologies
- A deep appreciation for photography and/or other aspects of the arts
VSCO is a creative channel. We build creative tools, spaces and connections driven by self-expression. Our Mission is to help everybody fall in love with their own creativity.
Free delicious breakfasts and lunches daily, amazing snack selections, and the best coffee in the Bay Area. Equity, health, vision and dental insurance for families, and a flexible vacation policy.
We value the creative process and our employees’ opinions — input is encouraged, regardless of your position or title. We want to work with people who are driven and demonstrate initiative in taking our mission to the next level.
The Working Life
At VSCO, everyone works hard but also takes the time to enjoy life outside of the office. Balance is important to us.
It Won’t Be Boring
Try new things. Think outside the box. We celebrate an environment that fights stagnation and challenges the status quo.
Interested in this position?
Tell us why you want to work at VSCO and what we should know about you.
VSCO believes in building a safe place for creative expression and celebrating that which makes us human, welcoming unique and personal backgrounds and experiences. We’re proud to foster diverse perspectives within VSCO as we continue to build an inclusive culture.