You are passionate about surfacing the right stories at the right time, finding and translating new perspectives, and delivering them in both conventional and emerging ways. You are a storyteller at heart.
We are looking for an experienced and inventive editorial leader that will help expand the future of our brand’s voice by establishing a unique, evergreen editorial and content program. This role will lead the in-house Editorial Studio and provide oversight, editorial vision, processes, and strategic development and programming across all of VSCO’s content channels as well as in-real-life programming. You will ensure that we are delivering a compelling and engaging point of view to a global audience, and will take the lead in setting the editorial agenda — what are the most important stories and how should they be covered? Who do we want to hear from? What does our programming look and sound like? You will lead, grow, and mentor a team of talented editors, curators and producers, and work alongside a dedicated in-house creative team to fully express the vision.
This person will regularly be overseeing work done on tight deadlines -- and must demonstrate how to balance high editorial standards with the demands of daily output. This means that you should be willing to roll up your sleeves and take shifts on final edits at times; demonstrating high skill in every aspect of editorial - from structure, to pacing, to line editing.
- Establish and uphold the editorial voice and point of view; including editorial selection, writing and structure. Line and script editing when applicable
- Develop the editorial agenda, including periodic and tentpole programming across VSCO’s content properties - including social, digital, and IRL platforms
- Foster innovation in content and editorial expression, including mixed media, in-real-life, and emerging formats
- Establish and manage editorial process and editorial judgment on topics and formats — create the “writers room” for VSCO
- Mentor, manage and grow a team of editors, writers, curators and producers through multiple projects and timelines
- Actively shape, steer and enforce VSCO’s brand and editorial voice and identity
- Work with in-house creative to fully realize editorial vision across multiple creative disciplines — design, film, copy, et. al.
- Liaise with external creative agencies, community members, brand partners and corporate partners for new editorial opportunities while ensuring brand and editorial standards
- 7+ years of experience building a compelling content and editorial practice, or equivalent experience as a journalist or editor, 4+ years in a creative or editorial leadership role at a digital media channel, digital agency, or a consumer-based brand
- Proven knowledge of fundamental editorial disciplines and processes
- Strong judgment and experience
- Ability to mentor and guide editorial talent, prioritize work and resources, and provide timely and clear critical feedback
- Effective presentation skills and communication abilities in both internal and external situations, including corporate leadership, brand partners, digital agencies and internal departments